How to File a Freedom of Information Act Request
with Skokie Public Library
The following are instructions on how to file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with Skokie Public Library:
- Please make your request for records in writing. The Skokie Public Library does not require the completion of a standard form for this purpose. You may submit your written request by mail, fax, or email. Please direct your request to:
FOIA Officer – Susan Dickens
Skokie Public Library
5215 Oakton Street
Skokie, IL 60077
- Please be as specific as possible when describing the records you are seeking. Remember, the Freedom of Information Act is designed to allow you to inspect or receive copies of records. It is not designed to require a public body to answer questions. To the extent that you wish to ask questions of a representative of the Skokie Public Library, you may call the Library’s Administrative Office at 847.324.3128, to be directed to the proper person.
- Please tell us whether you would like copies of the requested records, or whether you wish to examine the records in person. You have the right to either option.
- There is no fee for up to 50 pages of standard paper copies. For pages beyond 50, there is a 15¢ per page charge.
- You are permitted to ask for a waiver of copying fees. To do so, please include the following statement (or a similar statement) in your written FOIA request: “I request a waiver of all fees associated with this request.” In addition, you must include a specific explanation as to why your request for information is in the public interest—not simply your personal interest—and merits a fee waiver.
- Please include your name, preferred telephone number(s), mailing address, and, if you wish, your electronic mail address.
Freedom of Information Act request to Skokie Public Library (print, complete, and submit)