Meeting Room Rules and Procedures
at Skokie Public Library
- The Library reserves the right to cancel a scheduled meeting if the room is needed for Library use, or to move a meeting to another room when feasible. The Library will provide as much notice as possible if a meeting must be cancelled.
- All meetings must be free and open to the public. No admission fee may be charged or donations solicited or collected for programs, and no products or services may be sold.
- Meetings that could interfere with the normal functions of the Library will not be permitted. No candles or other open flames or fire hazards are permitted in the building.
- The Library’s name, address, telephone number, or URL may not be used as the address or headquarters for any group using the Library. No written or oral announcements or advertisements implying Library endorsement of a group or its activities are permitted.
- All publicity concerning a meeting or event is the responsibility of the group using the room.
- The Library’s telephone number may not be used on any promotional materials. The Library will not give out information about meetings. Groups using Library meeting rooms may not post signs inside or outside the Library or give materials to patrons in or around the Library. Handouts may be made available on a table inside the meeting room for those attending the meeting to pick up if they desire. In introducing a speaker, the speaker’s corporate affiliation may be mentioned to help establish credibility, but the business or service may not be promoted in the presentation itself.
- The Library cannot provide assistance to carry supplies to the meeting rooms, and custodial help is not available for other than normal maintenance of the rooms. The Library does not have personnel to assist with meetings or programs or to run equipment. The Library will not provide storage for property of organizations meeting in the Library building and assumes no responsibility for property before or after the meeting.
- Groups wishing to serve food may offer nonalcoholic beverages and light refreshments only. Groups serving refreshments or using audiovisual equipment are required to leave a $100 deposit at least seven days before the meeting, which will be refunded if the room and equipment are left in good condition. Food may not be served in the Petty Auditorium.
- The Library reserves the right to rescind an organization’s privilege of future use of meeting rooms if privileges are abused or if an organization does not show up for a scheduled meeting without providing at least 24 hours’ notice of a cancellation.
- The Library will not admit anyone to the building before opening or after closing time. All meetings must end on time and the room must be vacated in a timely manner.
Meeting room applications are available in the Library's administrative office or from the Library’s website:
Book Discussion Room application
Mary Radmacher Room application
Petty Auditorium application
You may also request an application by calling 847.324.3127 or emailing the Library at email@example.com.
Groups may apply for meeting room use at least 10 days and no more than 90 days before the meeting date.
So that all groups may have a fair chance to use the meeting rooms, no group or any of its chapters, divisions, branches, or other subgroups may apply for more than six meetings in any six-month period. Application for use of a meeting room does not guarantee approval of its use. Upon approval of an application, the person signing the application must be responsible to the Library for any damages caused to the building or equipment and must ensure that the Library’s procedures and rules are followed.
Skokie Public Library is not a full-service conference center and is best suited for simple events that do not require audiovisual support or complex furniture arrangements. Three meeting rooms are available, with the following seating capacities:
- Book Discussion Room: up to 35 people
- Mary Radmacher Meeting Room: up to 95 people
- Petty Auditorium: up to 200 people
Wireless Internet access is available in all meeting rooms. Groups must bring their own laptops and, if desired, a projection unit to use with laptops. A screen is available in each room. Only the equipment specified on the application form for each room is available for use in that room.
Requests regarding room arrangement or audiovisual equipment must be made at the time of application. The Library offers several options for room arrangements.
No materials may be attached to meeting room walls, doors, or windows in any room, or to the stage curtains in the Petty Auditorium.
The meeting rooms are available Monday through Friday from 9:30am to 9:00pm, Saturday from 9:30am to 6:00pm, and Sunday from 12:30 to 6:00pm.