at Skokie Public Library
From time to time, both full and part time job openings occur. Positions include supervisory and non-supervisory, librarians, information assistants, computer assistants, catalogers, shelvers, clerks, and maintenance personnel.
Part-time volunteer opportunities are also available at Skokie Public Library. These opportunities may be regularly scheduled, or may occur on an as-needed basis for special projects. Anyone over the age of 14 may apply to be a volunteer. Volunteer opportunities may include reading to the blind, helping patrons use computers, clerical responsibilities, assisting children with crafts, helping librarians plan programming for teens or other patrons, or cleaning library videos.
Applications for both paid and volunteer positions are available Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm in the Administration Office on the third floor of the Library. Completed applications are kept on file for one year and are often the primary source for filling job openings.
Fridays from 3:00pm to 9:00pm
Sundays from 12:00 to 6:00pm
Additional weekday hours during local school vacations and summer months
- Knowledge of Microsoft and Apple computer systems
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Publisher
- Expertise with the Internet, including Web-based email and navigation search tools and methods
- Physical mobility
- Ability to frequently use a computer
- Ability to work independently
- Clear oral and written communication skills with people of all ages, especially children
- Experience working with young adults
- Experience in use of computers, software, electronic resources, and Internet as related to libraries
- Assists patrons in the use of various computer software and peripheral resources, including printers, scanners, card readers, portable storage devices, etc.
- Troubleshoots minor problems with computer hardware, software, and peripherals
- Schedules appointments for use of YS Computer Lab stations
- Ensures that policies and procedures are consistently followed in the Lab
- Cleans and checks computers daily for general working order
- Maintains log of computer users
- Maintains order in the Youth Services Computer Lab
- Reports any problem, computer or behavioral, to the Youth Services Lab Supervisor, the Computer Labs Coordinator, and the Head of Youth Services
- Reports technical problems to the LAN staff
- Executes opening and closing procedures for all public computers in Youth Services
- Maintains an ongoing working knowledge of the Youth Services’ electronic resources including online research products and links off the Library’s web page, especially the Kids page
- Plans and presents computer activity programs
- Maintains effective communication with staff
- Keeps daily tally of computer statistics for monthly report
- Helps prepare and assemble materials for Youth Services activities and crafts
Pay range starts at $16.22 per hour.
Mail, fax, or email a cover letter and resumeto:
Beth Dostert, Manager of Human Resources
Skokie Public Library
5215 Oakton Street
Skokie, Illinois 60077
Send an message to Beth Dostert
No phone calls, please.
Check us out!
Skokie Public Library is an equal opportunity employer, located just west of the Skokie Village Hall.