Mysteries for Beginning Readers
Click a title to check the Skokie Public Library catalog for the status of the book in the Youth Services collection. Titles marked with * are available on audio.
- Ada, Alma Flor. Daniel's Mystery Egg. 2001.
J Easy Reader ADA
- Daniel finds a small egg and puts it into a box. What do you think will hatch?
- Adler, David. Cam Jansen (series). *
J Easy Reader ADL
- Cam Jansen has an amazing memory, just perfect for solving any mystery.
- Benchley, Nathaniel. The Strange Disappearance of Arthur Cluck.
J Easy Reader BEN
- Arthur, the baby owl, is missing. Can Mama Cluck find him on her own?
- Bonsall, Crosby. The Case of the Hungry Stranger. 1963.
J Easy Reader BON
- A thief has stolen the blueberry pie and the Private Eyes Club is determined find the guilty one.
- Bonsall, Crosby. The Case of the Scaredy Cats. 1971.
J Easy Reader BON
- Help! The girls are trying to take over the club house!
- Cushman, Doug. Inspector Hopper. 2000.
J Easy Reader CUS
- Grasshopper Detective Hopper can solve any mystery bugging the bugs of the neighborhood.
- Dussling, Jennifer. The Bunny Slipper Mystery. 1997.
J Easy Reader DUS
- Fozzie's fuzzy slippers are missing, but fortunately he knows just whom to call.
- Grambling, Lois. Miss Hildy's Missing Cape Caper. 2000.
J Easy Reader GRA
- What's a detective to do when her detecting cape turns up missing –- on Halloween night?
- Hanel, Wolfram. Mary and the Mystery Dog. 1999.
J Easy Reader HAN
- A whole week on the beach –- in March when it's too cold to swim? Mary gets bored and goes exploring on her own. Could that really be famous Mystery Dog she meets?
- Hayes, Geoffrey. The Secret of Foghorn Island. 1988.
J Easy Reader HAY
- Four shipwrecks in the same month? Something is definitely wrong. Leave it to Otto and Uncle Tooth to solve the crimes.
- Hoban, Lillian. The Case of the Two Masked Robbers. 1986.
J Easy Reader HOB
- Mrs. Turtle's eggs are missing! Leave it to the raccoon twins Arabella and Albert to find the culprits.
- Levy, Elizabeth. Parents' Night Fright. 1998.
J Easy Reader LEV
- Charlene is overjoyed when her story is picked for parents' night read-aloud. When it disappears mysteriously, she is lucky to have the Invisible Inc. detective trio ready to spring into action.
- Levy, Elizabeth. The Snack Attack Mystery. 1995.
J Easy Reader LEV
- Who but Invisible, Inc. could figure out what is happening to the missing lunch time snacks?
- Obrist, Jurg. Max and Molly and the Mystery of the Missing Honey.
J Easy Reader OBR
- What's wrong with grandpa this summer? First he gives Max and Molly way too many chores and then he accuses them of stealing his valuable honey!
- O'Connor, Jane. Eek! Stories to Make You Shriek. 1992.
J Easy Reader OCO
- That monster on Halloween night could not have been his friend Danny –- he was at home sick. But then, who was it? Solve this and two more mysteries!
- Osborne, Mary Pope. Pandora's Box. 1987.
J Easy Reader OSB
- Don't open the box, Pandora! Can she keep the promise or will her curiosity win?
- Platt, Kin. Big Max in the Mystery of the Missing Moose. 1977.
J Easy Reader PLA
- Big Max to the rescue! The moose is missing from the zoo.
- Quackenbush, Robert. Sherlock Chick (series).
J Easy Reader QUA
- Hatched with his detective hat and magnifying glass, this chicken is a born detective.
- Rocklin, Joanne. The Case of the Backyard Treasure. 1998.
J Easy Reader ROC
- Can Liz the Whiz and Company crack the case and discover the treasure? It takes lots of brains and even more teamwork.
- Rylant, Cynthia. High-Rise Private Eyes (series).
J Easy Reader RYL
- Bunny and Jack often bicker and argue, but they are two of the best detectives in town.
- Scary Stories to Read When
it's Dark. 2000.
J Easy Reader SCA
- Get the shivers as you read these seven chilling stories.
- Sharmat, Marjorie Weinman. Nate the Great (series). *
J Easy Reader WEI
- Nate the Great, the detective "who likes to work alone," is an expert at tracking down all types of criminals.
- Skofield, James. Detective Dinosaur (series).
J Easy Reader SKO
- Whose scary shadow could that be? Can you follow the clues and help Detective Dinosaur solve this and other mysteries?
- Stevenson, James. The Mud Flat Mystery. 1997.
J Easy Reader STE
- Duncan is away on vacation when a package is delivered to his house. All the friends and neighbors can hardly wait to find out what is inside.