Homework Help: Arts
World Wide Web sites
If you're looking for information about art and music, or if you need to find clipart for a homework assignment, these links will point you to websites filled with helpful information and very cool stuff.
The Library also has some very special research tools just for kids. Check out Student Databases for even MORE help with homework assignments and projects.
If you still can't find what you're looking for, visit the General Homework Help page for links to websites in all school subject areas, or contact a Youth Services librarian and we'll help you find what you need.
|Art and artists|
Web resource Available with Skokie Public Library card Available in Library only
- Ask Joan of Art®
- Do you have a question about American art? The art information specialists at the Smithsonian American Art Museum can help you find the answer! Questions take at least one or two weeks to research, so plan ahead and leave time to check in with the experts. While you're waiting, you can search for information about artworks and artists.
- CAMIO — Catalog of Art Museum Images Online — contains about 95,000 works of fine and decorative art from leading museums around the world. The scope of the collection ranges from 3000 BCE to the present, representing premiere examples of Asian, African, Latin American, and Western art. Difficult-to-find contemporary art is one of its strengths. The content includes high-resolution images of photographs, paintings, sculpture, decorative and utilitarian objects, prints, drawings and watercolors, jewelry and costumes, textiles, books, installations, and architecture — plus audio-video and mixed media. Benefits of the interface include downloading high-resolution images, the ability to email images and metadata for further study, and fast, powerful, Web-based searching. All content is rights-cleared for educational use.
- Global Gallery Knowledge Center
- This database of information about art and artists includes introductions to the various art movements, artist biographies, and a collection of facts and stories about art, artists, and art history.
- Find more than 80,000 digital images of plants, fungi, animals, landscapes, people, cultures, and more in this database from the University of California at Berkeley. Search by location, content, country, or state.
- Clipart ETC
- This huge collection of quality educational clipart offers a choice of image size and format as well as complete source information for proper citations in school projects. (We use this collection regularly in Youth Services!)
- The Internet Picture Dictionary
- Find pictures of just about anything in this online picture dictionary. Search or browse in English, French, German, Italian, or Spanish.
- This image library for teachers and students includes thousands of pictures that have been donated by students, teachers, and amateur photographers.
- This family-friendly image search engine is filled with pictures and images useful for school projects or just for fun.
- Arts & Humanities Resources: Music from Skokie Public Library
- Find links to all kinds of websites about music in the Arts & Humanities section of the Library's Online Information Resources Web page. Subjects include classical music, lyrics and song titles, popular music, and sheet music. Please note: Skokie Public Library staff has selected these resources for use by all visitors to the Library's website. Younger children may need adult supervision and assistance to find, understand, and evaluate content.
- Audio-Visual Resources: Music from Skokie Public Library
- Find links to all kinds of websites about music on the Library's Audio-Visual web page. Subjects include award-winning music; classical, jazz, and popular music; sheet music, and song lyrics. Please note: Skokie Public Library staff has selected these resources for use by all visitors to the Library's website. Younger children may need adult supervision and assistance to find, understand, and evaluate content.
- Famous Songs Inspired by Literature
- Find out which songs by the Beatles, Counting Crows, Jewel, and other famous musicians were inspired by books, poems, and plays.
- Mozart and More from Skokie Public Library
- Journey through the world of classical music with these links to books, videos, and websites filled with fun facts and information about music, life stories of composers and musicians, music, and more.
- Music Online
- Music Online contains hundreds of thousands of musical pieces for listening online. Genres from classical to jazz, from American roots to international music are represented. Liner notes and information on composers are included for most items in the collection. Users who choose to register can save playlists for repeated listening.
- New York Philharmonic Kidzone
- An online visit to the New York Philharmonic! A fun place for kids to "meet" musicians and composers, learn about and hear the sounds of different musical instruments, listen to music written by other kids, and more!