Movies & Music
Tearjerkers: Books for Teens
- Abelove, Joan. Saying it Out Loud. 1999.
- Mindy's mother is dying, her father won't talk about it, and all Mindy
wants is to have a second chance to tell her mother everything she never
said to her.
- Bennett, James. I Can Hear the Mourning Dove. 1990.
- Grace, who suffers from depression, attempts suicide after her
- Carter, Forrest. The Education of Little Tree. 1976.
- Sensitive autobiographical account of the Cherokee way as seen through
the eyes of a young boy in the Appalachian Mountains.
- Dessen, Sarah. Someone Like You. 1998.
- Halley's junior year of high school includes the death of her best
friend Scarlett's boyfriend, the discovery that Scarlett is pregnant, and
Halley's own first serious relationship.
- Doherty, Berlie. Dear Nobody. 1991.
- During the 1960s, a teenage girl is sent to live in a home for teenage
- Keyes, Daniel. Flowers for Algernon. 1966.
- Mentally disabled Charlie Gordon participates in an experiment which
turns him into a genius, but only temporarily.
- Lee, Harper. To Kill a Mockingbird. 1960.
- Atticus Finch, a lawyer in a small southern town steeped in racism, is
appointed to defend a Negro on a rape charge in this contemporary American
- McKinley, Robin. Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of the Beauty and
the Beast. 1978.
- Contrary to the name, 16-year-old Beauty is not the prettiest girl in
her family, but she is the cleverest, bravest and most honorable.
- Mitchell, Margaret. Gone with the Wind. 1936.
- A spoiled young southern belle vows to rebuild her family plantation
home after the Civil War and is swept off her feet by a man who infuriates
- Rawls, Wilson. Where the Red Fern Grows. 1961.
- A boy living in the Ozark Mountains acquires two beloved coon hounds
and together the three of them experience danger, adventure, love and
- Smith, Betty. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. 1947.
- American masterpiece about a young girl's coming of age at the turn of
- Yolen, Jane. Briar Rose. 1992.
- Powerful novel that blends the legend of Sleeping Beauty with the
historical tragedy of the Holocaust.